funsec mailing list archives

[privacy] Recent blog post I thought I'd share for thoughts and opinions.

From: Tyler Reguly <tyler.reguly () seeminglyrandom info>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2006 15:40:02 -0400

Hey Hey,

I'm not trying to spam the list here... This has been circulating quite
a bit lately... I seem to be the only one concerned with the privacy
issue that sites like these raise... and the only one that thinks these
even raise privacy issues. I was curious to see if anyone else thought
there were privacy related concerns.

The post can be found @ http://www.computerdefense.org/?p=108

Initial Paragraph:

Many people, especially students, have heard of, and even experienced,
TurnItIn.com. I came across the site while in college, and while I never
had to use it myself, I knew many professors that required their
students submit all assignments via the site. I’ve had my concerns and
doubts regarding this site… The idea of a third party collecting and
holding my data doesn’t seem right. We live in a world where privacy is
becoming more and more important… but student privacy is going out the
door. What if an employee is perusing the database one day and finds a
document they like and think will go places… They change the submission
information… submit a notice back to the students professor that the
work was copied. The employee attaches their own name to the document
and submits it to a magazine for publication… While they my not have
happened yet… there’s no reason why it couldn’t happen.

Tyler.