funsec mailing list archives

Re: Spamhaus Ignores U.S. Court?

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2006 23:39:37 +0100 (BST)

On Thu, 21 Sep 2006, Network Nerd wrote:

I'm not sure how women don't have equal protection under the law, but
that's aside the point. In reality, when the USSC generally discusses
companies as having "rights" they are or should be referring to the
stock holders' rights - not the corporate entity's. Our political

I have a feeling that under US law, a corporation is a legal "person",
there was some railraod case that set this precedent.

  You're thinking of the Buckley (William F's brother...) case, in which USSC
ruled that corporate "citizens", in spending money such as contributing to
political compaigns, are exercising their nearest analog to regular citizens'
First Amendment free speech rights, and are therefore entitled to that
amendment's protection.

No, I was thinking of Santa Clara County vs Southern Pacific Railroad,
1886.