funsec mailing list archives

Re: Anti-Virus Testing and Consumer Reports

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 17:50:24 +0100 (BST)

I'll argue that our new wheel is "rounder than the old wheels",
because:

  a) The repository will not sell AV samples/feeds.  Some
     security companies do this; we will not.

I don't actually know of any international cooperating body that sells
viruses. The one I know of, doesn't charge.

  b) To make sure we don't buckle on point a, we will have no
     commercial interest in the collection; (the entity taking
     ownership of the submitted samples is a 501(c)(3) non-profit
     organization).  All the code used by the repository will have a
     bsd-style license.  (We of course do not want
     $RANDOM_VIRUS_WRITER to use these resources, however, as is
     the unavoidable case with many commercial AV offerings.)

There is actually no way that any AV company can stop $RANDOM_VIRUS_WRITER
from buying their antivirus product. But I guess you're talking about
$RANDOM_VIRUS_WRITER buying a virus collection - in that case, i'd repeat
that I don't know of any international cooperating body that sells
viruses.

  c) Users are encouraged, but not required, to share their own
     samples.  Unlike many repositories, there are no up/down
     quotas.

Cooperation must be in two directions, otherwise the people who are giving
will eventually feel that they're being abused, and will pull out. But I
agree no "quotas".

  d) We will take great pains to NOT have our honeyfarms and
     sensors illuminated.  Blackhats have their own (highly
     sophisticated) IP reputation system, and know where many
     of the world's honey* collection systems are found.
     (E.g., mazafaka had listed many security company's sensors.
     The problem is *so* extensive that even academics are writing
     papers on this topic. Surely that's another symptom
     of a problem!)

That's a different issue from a repository. Obviously, no-one in their
right mind, would connect such a repository to the the internet

   2.  A second difference is the service-oriented nature of the
repository.  We'll analyze and unpack samples, and let (properly
vetted) members use the analysis.  (In a paper to appear at the
upcoming ACSAC conference, we've found a tremendous lift in AV
detection.  I.e., AV tools green light the packed samples, but can
recognize malware in the unpacked versions.)

All that says is that some AV tools do some sorts of unpacking and not
others.

I take Drsolly's point to be a reminder that I need to properly
acknowledge the other good work that people are doing.

I'd support that.