funsec mailing list archives

Re: write viruses? it's controversy time of the month

From: Blue Boar <BlueBoar () thievco com>
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2006 20:59:13 -0700

Drsolly wrote:
Uh - no. That's not being a good guy. Being a good guy, means you deleted all copies of the virus.

The advice I received at the time, which I believe included a couple of AV people, was that anything created should be submitted to AV companies. I wasn't personally too invested in whether I should submit it or not, I was just following requests. I think I may have had a request from one vendor, and I wasn't going to do one and not the others. I can't recall exactly, that was like 5 years ago.

Surely at least one of them explained to you why what you did wasn't a good idea?

None of them took the time to lecture me. One of the emails I think had a rather guarded tone (as I imagine the AV companies sometimes do when communicating with the malware "author".)

But the majority of them just didn't seem to read my note, beyond picking the .zip password out of the email. It left me very much with the impression that they just scanned the file, and did a form reply. Without trying to find out why this copy of Nimda might be different.

                                        BB