funsec mailing list archives

Re: TippingPoint's 'Zero-Day Initiative' to Publish Unpatched Flaws

From: Matthew Murphy <mattmurphy () kc rr com>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 20:32:10 -0500

Dude VanWinkle wrote:
On 8/28/06, Michal Zalewski <lcamtuf () dione ids pl> wrote:
On Mon, 28 Aug 2006, Dude VanWinkle wrote:

"Tipping Point customers have been protected from this flaw since
x.y.z"
Is that extortion?

No. Sorry.

I guess it depends on the vendor and how long they have given them to
patch the issue.

Still FD of 30 0-days seems odd for a security company that will profit
off it.

Que Sirah

-JP

This is not "full disclosure" of any of these vulnerabilities.  The
snippet ferg quoted says there will be a LIST of these issues published,
and in fact it has been published:

     http://www.zerodayinitiative.com/upcoming_advisories.html

This is called a "disclosure pipeline".  IOW, it names vendors we have
cases open with and the length of time those cases have been open.  Also
included is a self-issued internal severity rating from TippingPoint.
There's minimal information actually provided.

We've been doing this same thing with vulnerabilities discovered
internally by members of the TippingPoint Security Research Team for
some time now:

     http://www.tippingpoint.com/security/upcoming_advisories.html

I did the same thing with vulnerabilities I found before I came to
TippingPoint, and others (notably eEye) also engage in this practice.
Calling it extortion is completely out of line, IMO.

- - Matt Murphy, TippingPoint Security Research Team