funsec mailing list archives

Man I love this town

From: "Dude VanWinkle" <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 08:09:26 -0400

More Sec than infosec, but a weird read either way:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlatest/story/0,,-5935408,00.html

Subway Rider Sliced in Power Saw Attack

Friday July 7, 2006 3:16 AM

NEW YORK (AP) - A man wielding a cordless power saw in each hand
rampaged through a Manhattan subway station early Thursday, using one
of the buzzing blades to carve into the chest of a postal worker who
later said it felt like ``he was trying to cut through me.''

Police arrested Tareyton Williams, 33, of the Bronx, on attempted
murder and other charges about two hours later after they said he
punched someone in another random attack on the street.

The victim, Michael Steinberg, 64, was hospitalized in stable
condition. Speaking by telephone to reporters who gathered outside the
hospital, he said the attack was unprovoked.

The assailant ``never spoke,'' Steinberg said. ``I think he was out of
his mind.''

The attacker snatched the two saws from a cart being used by workers
upgrading the public address system at a subway station a few blocks
south of Columbia University. He assaulted Steinberg moments after
taking a swipe at another rider and missing, police said.

``He looked at me and before I knew it he was attacking me,''
Steinberg said of the pre-dawn attack. ``The motor kept going on. He
was trying to cut through me.''

Steinberg said the attacker finally paused to demand money, then
bolted out of the station with his wallet and the power tools. The
saws were later found in a trash can.