funsec mailing list archives

Re: 'Chernobyl' Computer Virus Author Dodges Prison

From: Axel Pettinger <api () worldonline de>
Date: Wed, 03 May 2006 23:08:14 +0200

[Sorry Fergie, now you get my mail twice as the first one was only sent
to you unintentionally.]

Fergie wrote:

Via PhysOrg.com (UPI).

[snip]

A Russian college student convicted of creating the Chernobyl
computer virus received a two-year suspended sentence Tuesday.

After I read that story I wondered whether I had missed a few facts. I
know that the original author of CIH was C.I.H. from Taiwan. But maybe
one of the variants which appeared much later was a modified copy of the
virus made by that Russian student ... ? I don't know ...

The virus was programmed to deploy on April 26, the anniversary of
the Chernobyl nuclear power plant disaster.

I can't stand that nonsense. Wasn't it a certain anti virus vendor who
called CIH "The Chernobyl virus" one year after it was released? I doubt
that C.I.H. had Chernobyl in his mind when he wrote version 1.2 of his
virus ...

Here:
http://www.physorg.com/news65868120.html

Original source: