funsec mailing list archives

Windows Vista Firewall: No Outbound Filtering By Default

From: "Fergie" <fergdawg () netzero net>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 15:06:48 GMT

I'm sure most of you have read this by now, but it raises
an interesting point (or two).

Ed Skoudis writes on the SANS ISC Daily Handler's Diary:

[snip]

In a somewhat related story, ZDNet has an interesting article that discusses the fact that Microsoft has decided that
the Windows Vista firewall will include no outbound filtering by default. Apparently, Microsoft was considering
blocking outbound connections by default, but, in response to large enterprise customer requests, they won't be doing
that. Not breaking corporate apps is more important than security, I suppose is the reasoning. This is a change from
the original Plan (yes, note the capital P), which said that Vista would ship with a two-way firewall. It still has
that capability, but outbound filtering will be turned off by default.

I remember a recent fascinating rant from Marcus Ranum, saying (I paraphrase) that a firewall that doesn't block
outbound traffic isn't worthy of the name firewall. From the guy who popularized the term firewall so long ago (and the
term script kiddie), that's an interesting point.

[snip]

More:
http://isc.sans.org/diary.php?storyid=1293

- ferg

--
"Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson
 fergdawg () netzero net or fergdawg () sbcglobal net