funsec mailing list archives

Re: infosec and human rights

From: Technocrat <dj.technocrat.listmail () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 12:56:38 -0500

On 4/18/06, Mark Carey-Smith <m.careysmith () student qut edu au> wrote:
My reason for posting to the list is to ask if anyone has any brilliant ideas they'd like to share with me on this
topic? Possible directions, information I should know etc. would be great.

Just last night on public TV, I saw a great little write-up on just
this. The Chinese leader had dinner with Bill Gates last night...he is
current here hitting alot a host of huge compaines and then will meet
with the US leader later this week.

I would look into the "UltraReach Internet Corp". The internet itself
hasn't totally counteracted the China need for control, but the speed
of the internet has helped bring several factors into the Chinese
public eye.

The current Chinese healthcare system isn't working and "word" on the
internet has finally forced the Chinese government to come to grips
with its failure. Same goes for mining deaths....the government can
not "hide" coal mining issue anymore and has recently should not
several of the more dangerous minds.

To this point, Chinese has been very good at keeping the internet
going for its use (money) and very good at killing it against positive
problems (politicial pressures), but more information is a very good
thing for a people that were once very limited in their global
information.

Just my 2 cents...

-Technocrat