funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] How The Telcos And The Government Are About To Boost The Encryption Ma rket

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 08:50:27 -0500

I'm going to jump in here and probably get beat up, but I'm not sure I
get this net neutrality issue. It rings of "the sky is falling" in
many cases.

For instance, as Fergie has commented here, " so your ISP can't snoop
and can't prioritize (or downgrade) the traffic." My ISP already does
this - and yours probably does as well. To demonstrate, load up your
favorite P2P client and try to download a couple of illegal song
files, my ISP immediately throttles that traffic.

For that matter I'm pretty sure they guaranteed their business
customers bandwidth, which means mine was second banana.

I can see where people might think they they'll charge Google more for
higher priority - but so what? So long as Google has no more or less
connectivity than they do today its all good. It's like paying for HBO
in reverse I guess - and if they did choose to pay for the extra
priority they'd use it for marketing their site. Hell, so would all of
these web hosting companies, same as they do their dual ds3
connections today.

OR, what am I missing?