funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] Laptop Stolen From D.C. Home With Personal Data of 13, 000

From: Blanchard_Michael () emc com
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 09:33:26 -0400

I'm seeing the same thing stateside as well.  Although not sure about the no PIN deal.  But, self service checkouts are
popping up all over the place, and all they require is a signature at most to complete the transactions.  No id needed,
no staff interaction, nuthin....

  I have a problem with these self service checkouts in general, aside from the non-proof of ID.  I refuse to use them
unless I get a 10% discount on my order.  Why should we do the work of the cashiers and not get paid as well?  Part of
the cost of the product is the cashier's pay, if they no longer need the cashier, then they can provide a discount on
the product....

Michael P. Blanchard
Antivirus / Security Engineer, CISSP, GCIH, CCSA-NGX, MCSE
Office of Information Security & Risk Management
EMC ² Corporation
4400 Computer Dr.
Westboro, MA 01580