funsec mailing list archives

Re: Database design.

From: Andrew <andrewwilly () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2006 10:58:22 -0700

Drsolly wrote:
Not in the UK. I'm going by my own medical records, and I'm probably not exceptional.
Well, I cannot say what they're doing in the UK precisely. But I insist that they must be retaining digital radiology for at least some period, and that there is more of it that you've acknowledged. It doesn't matter though, see below.
Most studies are kept for seven years. Mammography studies are kept for nine years. Studies on children are kept at least until they turn 18. They range in size from tens of megs to a gigabyte. Either England's central health care database scope doesn't include storing the digital radiology for 60 million people, or they're going to need that money.
I read up on the proposed database and it seems to be more of an EMR rather a complete collection of everything ever related to the patient. What this means is rather than the studies themselves (big), the database will contain the radiologist's report (small). That makes sense and I should have known it was the intention.

Still, the amount of data for 60 million people would be incredible.

Andrew