funsec mailing list archives

Re: Thinking out loud: On the value of honeynets, trojans, botnets, etc.

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2006 16:07:06 +1200

Fergie wrote:

Just tossing some thoughts around earlier this evening.

Would appreciate some feedback.

How valuable, would you say, are honeynets now that most
malware/crimeware seems to trojan downloader backdoor droppers
that are "dropped" due to user activation (e.g. clicking on a
link in an e-card), as opposed to trojan backdoors that are
dropped via an OS exploit?

Think about that for a moment.

I never saw honeypots/nets as much of an important part of identifying
"outbreak" scale events, as there were always other means of noticing
such things (though hoenypots could be useful for capturing early
samples), so if your intended comparison is "honeypots are not as
useful as they once were" I suspect we may disagree on the assessment
of how useful they were...

Anyway, although a lot of contemporary malware depends, as you say, on
the active involvement of the victim user, a lot of that malware
_still_ has _secondary_ spread mechanisms of share-crawling, service
exploiting, crawling through other bots backdoors, etc, etc.  As some
(and an increasing amount?) of this malware is only "narrow-banded" in
its initial deliberate distribution (often through somewhat targeted
spamming), honeypots/nets may be the best way we have of (efficiently
and somewhat quickly) getting samples of the increasing amount of much
less wide-spread malware.

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald