funsec mailing list archives

Re: [privacy] Yahoo! Boss: 'Not Sure If He'd Collaborate With Nazis'

From: Marcos Agüero <maguero () s21sec com>
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2006 17:46:27 +0200

Fergie escribió:
Critics at the Wall Street Journal's D: All Things Digital conference demanded that Yahoo chief Terry Semel
explain... once again... the rationale for collaborating with Chinese authorities in ways that result in sending
non-violent political protestors to long jail sentences.
Refusing to work with China just because they had a dictator is like
commit suicide for a international company like yahoo. It's quotes will
fall down very deep. China is the biggest growing market in the world.

They asked... once again... if Yahoo would have helped Nazi Germany the same way.
Seems that it had happen before
http://www.allbusiness.com/periodicals/article/102762-1.html

Semel patiently explained... once again... that he's simply a businessman following local laws.
And serving investor and shareholders.

Adding an extra dollop of sleazy moral equivalency, he weasled, "I don't feel good about what's happening in China
today. I don't feel good about some of the things that happen in our own country."
It's called criticism. I thought that free countries knew that.

That evasion is more than blogger Dan Gilmor can stand. Labeling Yahoo a handmaiden to the dictators, he fumes, "It
insults people's intelligence; Yahoo's name is on the service, after all."
Oh! Pretty naive. It's just a company doing bussines. Much like Oil
companies.