funsec mailing list archives

Re: A technical question about Google's WiFi tracking plans

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 12:21:11 -0400

On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 11:04:26 CDT, Ron said:
If you've never used Google's WiFi, then I don't think they can; all
they would get is your MAC address, which is useless to them.

If you have used Google's WiFi before, they might have a record of your
MAC address, so they will be able to recognize you.

Note that if you've ever used *any* Google service that allows them to
access your configuration and snarf your MAC address (so tell me - do you
have any clue what Google Desktop is *really* doing?), they can recognize
you.