funsec mailing list archives

Re: Users Report Glitches With Microsoft's Flash Patch

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rMslade () shaw ca>
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 15:28:09 -0800

From:                   "Fergie" <fergdawg () netzero net>
Date sent:              Thu, 11 May 2006 15:16:48 GMT

If, as an analyst suggested Tuesday, Microsoft plans to begin patching more than
its own software, its first effort got off to a rocky start. By Wednesday,
Windows users were complaining of glitches in updating Adobe's Flash Player
through the Windows Update service.

http://www.techweb.com/wire/security/187202025

I've had personal experience with this.  I'm installing a new laptop at the moment,
and going through the whole nine yards in terms of patching XP and Office.
Windows Update has tried to install the Flash patch on the laptop about six times
now, without success.

My main desktop machine shows no attempts to install it at all.  I've checked the
update history back to last year, and there is no attempt to install the Flash patch.

I've just done an update on the old laptop, and it wanted to install the Flash patch,
and did it just fine, thanks.

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca     slade () victoria tc ca     rslade () computercrime org
A mathematician is a machine for turning coffee into theorems
         - Alfred Renyi (often attr. to his collaborator Paul Erdos)
http://victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm