funsec mailing list archives

Re: MPAA Rips Off Software for "Anti-Piracy" Site

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 22:31:45 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 22:09:53 GMT, Drsolly said:
On Tue, 17 Jan 2006, Fergie wrote:

How do you like that? Incredible....

http://www.boingboing.net/2006/01/17/mpaa_rips_off_softwa.html

Bit is it a ripoff?

The author says "But please include ..."

Good point.  Does that mean if a rape victim said "Please don't hurt me",
that it implies consent?

The programmer said that anyone could use his code. He didn't set any
conditions, he said "but please ..."

If the "rape victim" says "You can fuck me but please don't tell
anyone" then it isn't rape, even if you tell you pals afterwards.

The MPAA isn't taking the moral high road here and respecting other's wishes.
Why is it surprised when people don't want to respect their wishes?

Because the MPAA's wishes are a legal requirement, whereas the author of
that code was phrasing a request.