funsec mailing list archives

Re: WMF Vulnerable Systems

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rMslade () shaw ca>
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2006 20:09:51 -0800

From:                   "Larry Seltzer" <larry () larryseltzer com>
Date sent:              Mon, 2 Jan 2006 21:48:03 -0500

I just created a fresh Windows 98SE system, no updates. Of course it doesn't
have Picture and Fax Viewer, but I opened a known-malicious WMF file with Paint
and got this message:

I'd suspect that Paint is a bad choice.  Since it has to deal with the graphics
themselves, it is far less likely to rely on an external system call to render them,
and, in any case, would want to read the file first to ensure that it could deal with
it, before rendering it.  Would have expected better with IE, but not if it wasn't
associated.

Have you tried viewing the file with XNView or similar viewer?

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca      slade () victoria tc ca      rslade () sun soci niu edu
Allowing an unimportant mistake to pass without comment is a
wonderful social grace.                              - Judith Martin
http://victoria.tc.ca/techrev    or    http://sun.soci.niu.edu/~rslade