funsec mailing list archives

RE: Everyone on FD is now under arrest

From: Gregory Hicks <ghicks () well com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 14:11:24 -0800 (PST)

Subject: RE: [funsec] Everyone on FD is now under arrest
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 15:57:41 -0600
From: "Todd Towles" <toddtowles () brookshires com>
To: "Blanchard, Michael \(InfoSec\)" <Blanchard_Michael () emc com>, "Oliver
Schneider" <Borbarad () gmxpro net>
Cc: funsec () linuxbox org

 Hmmm... Interesting.... If FD (or any other list)is hosted
in the States, are the users of said list bound by those laws?

If the LIST is hosted in the US, I'd imagine that those that host the
list can be bound by US laws.  If the USERS/correspondents on the list
are NOT in the US, I doubt if they can be held to US law enforcement.

(However, there have been some recent examples - within the last 12-18
months - where people in a foreign - to the US - country were arrested
and turned over to the US FBI.  And there have been cases where foreign
servers were confiscated by local LEO and turned over to the US LEO...)

Your guess is as good as mine.

  I figure if online gambling sites can legally be hosted out
of the states and be immune to the US laws, wouldn't the
inverse be true?

 Don't flame me, I'm actually wondering about this... Anyone
have any thoughts?

Interesting Question. FD is hosted in the UK, but Pen-testing Mailing
list is controlled by a US company however. Guess we don't have to worry
about FunSec either?? Gadi, where are we?

-Todd

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes.  I will surely
learn a great deal today.

"A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for
lunch.  Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the
decision." - Benjamin Franklin