funsec mailing list archives

Re: Nokia staff jacked by Ernst & Young laptop loss (fwd)

From: der Mouse <mouse () rodents montreal qc ca>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 14:38:54 -0500 (EST)

I note that many of these Big 4 pros carry laptops in "Big 4" logo
marked laptop bags - hey, why not just put a sign on the bag saying
'likely sensitive data on board, steal me!'

Of course, if someone wanted to actually do something effective, they
could synthesize a bunch of junk "sensitive" data, put it on a laptop,
and carry it around in one of those bags as thief bait.  All the
contact info for the fictional people would be ringed with tripwires so
that anyone touching them immediately comes under intensive
investigation for links to the thief.  For extra subtlety, put the
sensitive data in "deleted" files or the like.

But that would be effective, so of course they won't do it. :-/

/~\ The ASCII                           der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML               mouse () rodents montreal qc ca