funsec mailing list archives

Kodak's secret plan to compress photos at its EasyShare Web site?

From: "Richard M. Smith" <rms () bsf-llc com>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 08:38:03 -0500

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB114366668990511484.html?mod=todays_us_market
place

Lawsuit Is Filed Against Kodak

By DAVID ARMSTRONG
March 30, 2006; Page B3

A former Eastman Kodak Co. manager says that the company altered millions of
photographs stored by customers on the popular EasyShare Gallery Web site
and that she was fired after threatening to bring her concerns about the
plan to top management.

In a lawsuit filed in California superior court in Oakland, Maya Raber, the
former director of engineering for EasyShare Gallery, said that Kodak
planned to secretly compress the digital-photograph images stored by
customers of the Web site, a process she says can irreversibly damage the
images. The suit alleges that she and other employees warned of the
potential damage the compression could cause, but higher-ups pushed the plan
along.

Kodak, in a statement, said it would not comment on why Ms. Raber left the
company in August because it was a personnel matter. Kodak said Ms. Raber's
allegations about its photo service "are completely false."

"We have not compressed images that are stored in the Gallery without our
customers' knowledge," the statement said. "We feel that Kodak has acted in
a manner that is consistent with our corporate policies and ethics, and we
will vigorously defend ourselves against all claims to the contrary."