funsec mailing list archives

Oops: U.S. Department of Energy Lost Computer Equipment

From: "Fergie" <fergdawg () netzero net>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 18:59:08 GMT

Via GCN.com.

[snip]

At least 18 pieces of “computer processing equipment,” including at least one laptop, are missing from the Energy
Department’s Office of Intelligence (IN), and department officials do not know whether any of it was used for or
contained classified information, according to a new report from DOE’s inspector general.

The report [.pdf], titled “Internal Controls Over Sensitive Property in the Office of Intelligence,” was posted on the
IG’s Web site late last week.

“During our field work we identified numerous discrepancies regarding the program office’s sensitive property
inventory,” IG Gregory Friedman wrote. “[W]e worked extensively with program officials during the course of the review
in an effort to reconcile the inventory discrepancies and strengthen inventory controls. Nevertheless, problems still
remained at the conclusion of our review.”

[snip]

More here:
http://www.gcn.com/online/vol1_no1/40184-1.html

- ferg

--
"Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson
 fergdawg () netzero net or fergdawg () sbcglobal net