funsec mailing list archives

Re: No Place Left to Hide on Tomorrow's Net?

From: der Mouse <mouse () rodents montreal qc ca>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 04:42:58 -0500 (EST)

(Who did too much DECNet in the early 90s.)
          ^^^^^^^^
That is, "any" right?    8-)

:)  I actually did work with DECnet once upon a time.  I built an IP
transport on top of Ultrix DECnet stream sockets - the idea was to
schlep IP packets around over leased lines connected to DECnet-only
routers (they were provided by DEC as a contribution to the local
universities, but DEC, being DEC, made them DECnet-only).

The silly thing was actually in production use for quite a while -
until we got native IP networking to replace it, IIRC.  I don't know
what DEC thought of our end-running their DECnet limitation that way,
if indeed they ever heard.

/~\ The ASCII                           der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML               mouse () rodents montreal qc ca