funsec mailing list archives

Re: another VX site?

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2006 19:32:11 +0000 (GMT)

On Sat, 7 Jan 2006, Jeff Kell wrote:

Oliver Schneider wrote:

Instead of complaining about naming schemes of other vendors, all vendors
should just sit down together and find a common naming scheme *ASAP* - with
a *shared base* of names! Because this is were the users think that the
vendors are "wrong/silly/etc".

The problem there is the influence of AV business/politics.  There would
be no way to have a "common naming authority" without simultaneously
making all discoveries and claims common knowledge.  The "my AV is
better than your AV" war would be somewhat emasculated when this becomes
knowledge, and there is no race to the "my AV detected this first" prize.

Well, there is something to be said for competition in the
implementation and deployment of such detections, but I don't see the
for-profit AV vendors suddenly co-operating on a global scale.

That's true, you don't. But nevertheless, they do, and have done for 16
years. Don't confuse the marketing folks, who make the marketing claims
and all the noise, with the technical people, who actually have a rather
good co-operation going, meet fairly frequently, and share malware
specimens.

I even got a call once from a the techie who worked at a competitor. It
was late, he was tired, he'd been given a deadline to do repair for a
particular virus, and he couldn't work out how to do it. I'd already done
that virus, so I told him how.

A few years later, we were working for the same company.

So, don't confuse the marketing competition, with the technical people's
cooperation. Go to any serious AV conference, and you'll find them all
drinking and laughing in the bar together, and if you're really really
lucky, look around the host hotel for a meeting room with a notice "closed
for cleaning", and you'll find a major malware exchange and beer drinking
session going on there.