funsec mailing list archives

RE: Amish Teen illegally wiretaps neighbors Phone

From: dparis () w3works com
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 13:37:52 -0500 (EST)

The way I read it, the Aronsons are pretty well in the clear.  The
Quigleys used wireless phones with a frequency that could be picked up by
an (assuming untampered with) police scanner.  That's public airwaves.
The only argument that can be then made is "is it legal to record anything
broadcast on public RF channels?"  If so - then the Quigleys just learned
a very expensive lesson in why you shouldn't say anything you don't want
printed as a headline of the New York Times - or if you do, use corded
phones (requires legally[?] sanctioned wiretaps), or cordless phones which
either a) change frequency between handset and basestation periodically,
b) encrypt between handset and basestation, c) do not use frequencies that
are picked up by police scanners or d) some combination of the above.

Still, 10.5MM$USD?!  Give me a break.

Best~
-dsp

 So the Aronsons illegally listened into their neighbors phone
conversations, hear them say some jokes that they took offense too, and
sued them for 10.5M USD?

   Sounds like the Aronsons are the ones that are doing something wrong to
me....

  Mike B

Michael P. Blanchard
Antivirus / Security Engineer, CISSP, GCIH, MCSE, MCP+I
Office of Information Security & Risk Management
EMC ² Corporation
4400 Computer Dr.
Westboro, MA 01580