funsec mailing list archives

RE: Nigerians Arrested in Holland for Internet 419 Scam

From: "Todd Towles" <toddtowles () brookshires com>
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2006 16:56:29 -0600

Gary wrote:
Wow.  I never thought that _real_ Nigerians were behind those
419 schemes.  Almost adds an air of legitimacy.

Are you serious? There are cases where victims have been taken to
Nigeria to meet "bank" people and other "officials".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Advance_fee_fraud

"I recall reading a year or so ago at one point the scam income was in
the top 3 re Nigerian GDP income figures"

I remember it being 4th for some reason...not sure where I saw it..and
if it was true. Don't get me wrong, alot of scams are controlled by
non-Nigerians but there is must much than an "air of legitimacy" in the
name sake.

-Todd