funsec mailing list archives

Re: Sony's flat TVs malfunction due to software glitch

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 15:22:57 -0500

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 13:17:45 EST, Dude VanWinkle said:

I wonder if they have any authentication before the device accepts the
new firmware. I can see the advertisers modding the sony TV to play
their commercials rather than the ones on comcasts channels..

If they didn't do authentication, then you could download an image that bypasses
all the DRM support that's probably hiding in there (to close that nasty analog
hole, of course).

http://www.freedom-to-tinker.com/?cat=31