funsec mailing list archives

Microsoft and free speech

From: <rms () computerbytesman com>
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 11:11:50 -0500

Hi,

Yikes.  I wrote a benchmark program which measures the overhead of a
JavaScript program calling into a .NET class.  The numbers were extremely
small and I was quite impressed with how Microsoft was able to make COM and
.NET play together so well.  However, it now looks like I have to go to jail
since this testing may have violated the .NET license agreement because I
told other people how well .NET performs.

Richard M. Smith

Can I benchmark the Microsoft .NET Framework?

Yes. As per the licensing agreement customers can setup and run their own
benchmarks of the .NET framework for technical evaluation purposes. You may
not disclose the results of any benchmark test of the .NET Framework to any
external third party outside your organization without Microsoft's prior
written approval. You can e-mail benchnet () microsoft com for more specific
details on obtaining this approval.