funsec mailing list archives

Re: Reporting botnets

From: Jeff Kell <jeff-kell () utc edu>
Date: Mon, 06 Feb 2006 18:58:20 -0500

Mike Johnson wrote:
So, as I was reporting an IRC server and a distribution server
(webserver hosting files for the bot) today I got to wondering if
there's some organization out there that collects statistics on these
and/or gets involved in handling of these reports.  So far, when I've
made the reports, the hosts involved are helpful in the resolution,
but I'm sure I'll run into a difficult one at some point (perhaps
after I start trying to report the ones in China).
There are some scattered groups with their own deserved level of
paranoia in an effort to keep the bad guys out, but having a common
place to report these discoveries should be a no-brainer.  If there is
one, I must have missed it.

The bonus points come if there was a centralized distribution of known
C&C hosts that we could use to (a) prevent further spread locally and
(b) locate infected hosts by looking for recurring SYNs to one of these
addresses.

You see quite a few of these watching an .edu, particularly the recent
omgitskp that actually targets, or at least favors edus

Jeff