funsec mailing list archives

Re: Black Worm Report from Pune, India

From: Gregory Hicks <ghicks () well com>
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 08:33:44 -0800 (PST)

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2006 09:54:55 -0500

On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 10:29:37 GMT, "Alex Shipp (elist)" said:
We are getting 100s of emails infected with this W32.Nayem.E (or CME-24)
every hour hitting our various in boxes.
The count is just increasing every hour since last week.

For some reason India seems to be the biggest hit. I have no idea
why. Top 10 countries:

I wonder if it's related to the fact that in a linux chat room I
sometimes frequent, lots of people come in and need help installing
Fedora or Ubuntu, but Indian visitors are *heavily* skewed to "Redhat
9 won't run on my hardware", and they are often resistant to the
suggestion that they install FC4, or CentOS 4, or RHEL 4, depending
on their licensing and stability requirements...

Seriously - anybody know why they have the big Redhat9 fixation?

Just guessing and a stab in the dark here...  (OUCH! - got stabbed.)

Perhaps the fixation could be caused by the fact that a large number of
Indian IT types work - directly or indirectly - for US (or other
country) corporations and THOSE corporations have decided that their
products will be supported under RH 7/8/9, RHEL3/4/...  Thus, the India
IT population has a LOT of expertise in supporting RH software...

Just a thought.

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes.  I will surely
learn a great deal today.

"A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for
lunch.  Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the
decision." - Benjamin Franklin