funsec mailing list archives

RE: MS MSRT

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 14:52:35 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 3 Feb 2006, Todd Towles wrote:

They released the MS MSRT early during the Zotob worm, why not now?

I agree that the MSRT isn't suppose to replace AV and it isn't really
MS's job to remove malware from my computer. But why not release it
early if it were already created and ready? Or if you could get it out
without a couple of days without a "huge" effort?

Would they have released it if the infection rate was up to 600,000 or 1
million?

Should they have released it if the infection rate was just a few
thousand?

It's always a judgement call whether to do an extra release, because it
will put some people to a certain amount of trouble (I'm guessing that
corporates won't let patches auto-install, but would want to test that
they don't break something imortant before rolling them out). You might do
an extra release if there's strong evidence of a widespread problem. But
in this case, there wasn't strong evidence - am I right in thinking that
all the AV companies rate this as a minor threat, and it's only the
Blackworm Task Force that is the driving force behind the publicity?