funsec mailing list archives

Re: Paying to email

From: Pierre Vandevenne <pierre () datarescue com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 21:00:12 +0100

Good Day,

ASe> So not everyone pays, which is (from memory, may be wrong) not quite
ASe> the same as Dr. Solly's suggestion.

As far as I am concerned, the spam situation is really improving in
terms of absolute numbers. Two years ago, I was at about 1000 spam
messages per day on some of my accounts, now I am at roughly 100-150
messages a day on the same accounts (nothing changed in my behavior
or the accounts availability).

What really pisses me nowadays are the people who crawled from
under their rock and suddenly think it is clever to filter stuff such
as the recent gmail block, or hotmail or any of the very big names.
The disruption they cause to countless legit business operations is
miles above what yet another spam message can inflict... This is not
to say that smaller ISPs should be blocked, just that the cost/benefit
impact of blocking a major is really negative.

And no, I don't even have a gmail account myself.

--
Best regards,
 Pierre                            mailto:pierre () datarescue com