funsec mailing list archives

Re: Ameriprise Loses Data on 230, 000 Customers and Advisers

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 12:42:49 -0500

On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 09:18:22 EST, Blanchard_Michael () emc com said:

 I agree exactly, Think about it, would your company actually store or keep
your customer records and information on a laptop???  Really, a friggin laptop
containing your entire customer information database.... Never.  No company
larger than 1 person would do that....it's just crazy....

Never underestimate the stupidity of users.  People do extracts of databases
to do stupid crap on their desktops and laptops *ALL THE TIME*.

Consider - have you *ever* done an ad-hoc extract to your desktop?  If yes, then
you're part of the problem, and if no, you've either just fallen out of the tree,
or are lying through your teeth....

 For that reason alone, those stories have got to be stretches of the truth...

I'm sure some are.  On the other hand, laptops often go walkies, and if 10% of
your desktops have unauthorized downloads of corporate data on them, it's likely
the laptop percentage is closer to 20% (after all, many laptop users will do the
extracts so they can work on the plane...)

You want a *real* "WTF??!?", consider when they claim the stolen data was in
a car because an employee was taking it home as part of a disaster recovery plan. ;)