funsec mailing list archives

RE: FCC v Mom

From: "Larry Seltzer" <larry () larryseltzer com>
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 14:15:30 -0500

...my phone is now reporting its gps location as part of its
keepalive/beacon/here-i-am/background signalling, which means any law
enforcer who has read the P.A.T.R.I.O.T. act can find out where i am/was or
get a tracking subpoena to find out where i usually am/go.

I'll admit I hadn't heard that it was reporting this data, but do you
actually think companies are going to log it and maintain the data? Doesn't
seem like they'd normally have any reason to do that. Do they log any
heartbeat data pre-GPS?