funsec mailing list archives

Re: ? - I don't know where to send this one, so I'm sending i t here...

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 12:33:29 +0000 (GMT)

Because Willy Wonka never *did* figure out how to sell somebody a
second Ever-Lasting Gobstopper.

Of course I know that, but you are absolutely correct to focus on the
_suppliers'_ needs.  The supplier wants an income stream.  Long ago MS
realized that the way to achieve the best income stream was to
regularly update the software.  The contemporary anti-virus (and then
"anti-Trojan and now anti-spyware) industry recognized it could achieve
this even better than MS with an enduring avalanche of VERY regular
updates.

Of course, why this has NEVER changed through force of pressure from
intelligent, informed, diligent system admins at large corporate and
government clients is actually the important question.  The answer is,
in short, there are actually incredibly few intelligent, informed and
diligent sys-admins able to (or at least willing to try to) wield any
useful amount of economic pressure.

The reasons for that are multitudinous, with some intelligent, informed
and diligent sys-admins being ham-strung by ludicrous policies and
other entirely internally developed and enforced (within their
employing organizations) mechanisms, but it's not entirely incorrect to
say that a large part of the problem is that there are actually very
few intelligent and informed sys-admins, due to the dominant IT culture
being one of "it's right if it works" rather than one of "make this
work right".

The latter means businessmen like Dr Solly get rich supporting the
"need" of others to keep their systems stupid and ill-run...

This sounds a bit like "People don't know what's best for them, but I
do!". The fact is, these corporate users had a wide choice of AV systems,
including systems that controlled what software users could run. For you
to tell these intelligent and well-informed people that you know better
than they do, what is the best way to deal with the virus issue, makes me
concerned that you might not have fully appreciated the problem that they
were trying to solve.

And perhaps those programmers like Dr Solly who had a better understanding
of the problem, got rich because they understood the real wants and needs
of these users, and addressed those, as distinct from writing software
that they didn't want.

Certainly when I was in the AV field, a signature-based scanner was the
most cost-effective way of using a bunch of computers in a world that
included viruses. That was true, because it took months, even years, for
malware to spread.

Today is different - malware spreads in hours, or even minutes. However, I
note that despite the huge difference in the nature of the problem, no
"forbidden unless permitted" system has captured any substantial market
share. This makes me think that, quite possibly, the signature-based
scanner is still the optimum solution for the problem that corporates
actually face (as distinct from the one that some journalists think that
they face).

Of course, SOHO is an entirely different kettle of fish, with "stupid
and ill-run" being a given and requiring a different approach.  In
fact, current AV practices probably are the best approach for such
users, but that is no reason to adopt it or even _allow_ it in properly
designed and run corporate IT systems...

Not as different as you might think. I remember talking to one major bank,
and I was opining that because their systems were run by systems admins,
they could assume a considerable degree of knowledge. They fell about
laughing - most of their "system admins" were accountants, bankers and
secretarial staff who had "system admin" added to their job description at
the same time as someone plonked a server down in their branch office.

To put it bluntly, I think you're overestimating the technical capability
of users.