funsec mailing list archives

RE: The end of Phishing in sight?

From: Blanchard_Michael () emc com
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2005 17:00:54 -0400

 I certainly agree that spyware running on a victim's machine can circumvent
any protection that is put in place.

  Perhaps online banks should make it mandatory to run a spyware program and
an antivirus program before activating an online banking account?  Although
this gets very hairy, very quickly.  But there are enough free spyware
checkers that are better than non-free versions, and there are a few AV
products that are "good enough" for banking and are free.  Perhaps online
banks should just make a very stern recommendation that users run these
programs, and make it sound like they are required to use the online
bank.....

Michael P. Blanchard
Antivirus / Security Engineer, CISSP, GCIH, MCSE, MCP+I
Office of Information Security & Risk Management
EMC ² Corporation
4400 Computer Dr.
Westboro, MA 01580
email:  Blanchard_Michael () EMC COM