funsec mailing list archives

misinformation: Sun Tzu vs Al Qaeda

From: Gary Warner <gar () askgar com>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 06:41:08 -0500

:

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 00:04:11 CDT, Lamp said:
It's easier to spread misinformation(or useless shit) than it is to maintain total communications security.
To which Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu replied:
The good infowarrior, no matter their hat color, has read their Sun Tzu and
is aware of the value of good misinformation.

That's exactly what I was thinking as I watched Fox News's report on the "Intercepted letter". I said out loud, "Betcha $20 its not real." My mother-in-law (who will believe in little green men from Mars if Rush Limbaugh tells her too) says "No, its real! Its been authenticated by the Pentagon!"

I said "actually, I wasn't wondering if al-Qaeda had faked it. I was wondering if WE had!"

Its just too good to be true:

Dear fellow al-Qaeda dude,

I've begun to wonder if our policy of slaughtering Iraqi women and children is having the desired effect? . . . .

Those GI Joes have me shaking in my boots! Maybe we should just call the whole thing off, right? . . .

Peace out,

Al Qa Bad Guy #2