funsec mailing list archives

Re: so, is I[dp]S a STUPID technology?

From: Roland Dobbins <rdobbins () cisco com>
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 15:49:18 -0700

To be clear, I don't do 'Cisco talk' - several vendors make scrubbing boxes, just as several vendors (including Cisco) make firewalls and IDS.

Small businesses can't rely upon in-line firewalls or IDS to defend themselves against DDoS, either, in my experience. Those are primarily policy-enforcement devices, and irrespective of their other possible merits, they generally aren't optimized for dealing with DDoS (marketing claims aside).