funsec mailing list archives

Re: Re: Malware sharing? People are full of shit [was: Getyour computer viruses here!]

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2005 14:16:23 +1300

Blue Boar to Randy Abrams:

Success or failure needs to be compared against the alternative. I haven't
seen the argument that these files can't be shared in a more secure manner
with a 99.9% success rate. If you trade 99.9 for 99 with no good reason,
then it is a failure to realize a better result. Complete failure? No.

I thought the implied benefit was pretty self evident; More people with
access means better, quicker, more complete analysis.

And that benefits who most?

Often it most benefits the less-than-clueful-but-still-worrying malware
writers.  Recall that these days these are NOT skiddies trying to get a
"worst mass-mailing virus ever" headline, but folk making dirty money
writing nasty, dirty code for the scum of the earth that are the spam
lords, spyware and adware pushers, etc.  These guys only need a small
advantage for a few days to greatly enhance the return they make for
the scummy work.  Laying bare the details of some clever new malware
trick in an openly accessible way as this site does (will?) means that
the bad guys can drink from that trough, make our lives tougher, and,
WORSE, make the lives of those the better analysis this site is
supposed to (eventually) make better (i.e. the security vendors', aka
"our", customers) MUCH WORSE.

...  You don't have to
trust the AV companies, wait for them, etc...  You don't have to agree
that that will happen, but I see that as the motivation.

History is littered with failures made of the best intentions...

I've been in the "vetted" category before.  ...

Do you mind me asking where and when?

Was it in AV or some other security niche?

...  And still, I would have to
wait for responses, be at a competitive disadvantage (I was asking
competitors for samples), have to agree to or negotiate a bunch of
sharing rules, couldn't re-publish some of my work, couldn't get a lot
of critique of my disassembly, and so on...

And I'm sure this still happens, but my experience is that the rest of
security _outside of AV_ is MUCH worse at this than AV, despite Gadi's
recent tanty to the contrary...

One might argue that Val's site is of greater benefit to the non-AV
people, ...

And I do argue that -- in fact, that it is is of most value to malware
authors is the greater of my two main concerns (the other being that it
will inevitably distribute some amount of self-replicating code).

... and I suspect that is part of the motivation.

So you think Val _wants_ to help the bad guys?   8-)

Honestly, I think that is an inevitable consequence of a cluelessly
simplistic approach to trying to fix what is a really difficult
problem.  It is an entirely foreseeable outcome if enough clue and
experience is applied, but apparently neither are available in
sufficient quantities to Val, so I think it is an unexpected outcome
from his/her perspective.

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald