funsec mailing list archives

Re: Get your computer viruses here!

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 00:47:02 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 27 Dec 2005, Blue Boar wrote:

Drsolly wrote:
I already emailed with this guy to tell him about the reasons why he might
not want to do this. I obviously failed.

I don't see what the difference is, between this, and a VX site.

The difference being that he isn't creating any new malware himself?

VX is an abbreviation for Virus Exchange. VX owners don't (usually) create
new malware, they just help spread it around.

I've often thought about putting up such a site myself, and may still do
so someday.  Of course, most people who work(ed) in the AV industry
disagree with me on whether it's a good idea to allow public access to
malware, so there you go.

I haven't looked at his implementation details.  My plans call for
features which would prevent my site from being usable as a download
site from victimized machines.