funsec mailing list archives

Re: Nordea Sweden shuts Internet banking due to targeted phishing

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Wed, 5 Oct 2005 01:08:43 +0100 (BST)

On Tue, 4 Oct 2005, Dan Kaminsky wrote:

Florian Weimer wrote:
Check this out.

 http://www.f-secure.com/weblog/#00000668

| As the scam was uncovered, Nordea Sweden shut down their whole
| internet bank. Apparently this was done in order to prevent the
| scammers from using the codes to move money around.

Uhm, this is just so wrong.  Maybe they weren't prepared, but this
drastic measure puts more customers at risk because if their regular
banking site fails, they will turn to backup sites that are announced
in those helpful email messages.  Or something like that.

As I've been saying, it is an open question whether we'll be able to do
online banking in 18 months.

Banks could fix the phishing problem if they had the incentive. It isn't
bad enough yet to make them want to fix it.