funsec mailing list archives

Texas Expands Lawsuit Against Sony BMG

From: "Richard M. Smith" <rms () computerbytesman com>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 17:16:45 -0500

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051221/ap_on_bi_ge/sony_lawsuit

By LIZ AUSTIN, Associated Press Writer 27 minutes ago

AUSTIN, Texas - Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott expanded his lawsuit
against Sony BMG Music Entertainment on Wednesday, alleging that a second
form of anti-piracy technology used by the label violates the state's
spyware and deceptive trade practices laws.

Abbott sued Sony BMG in November, saying the world's second-largest music
label surreptitiously included spyware on millions of CDs through technology
known as XCP. That technology, included on 52 Sony BMG titles, could leave
computers vulnerable to hackers, he said.

The new allegations involve an unrelated CD copy-protection technology known
as MediaMax, which was loaded on 27 Sony BMG titles, including Alicia Keys'
"Unplugged" and Cassidy's "I'm a Hustla."

"We keep discovering additional methods Sony used to deceive Texas consumers
who thought they were simply buying music," Abbott said in a statement.

BMG officials said in a statement that they are working with Abbott's office
and believe they can prove they have responded appropriately to his
concerns.

"The security issues with MediaMax are not uncommon and are completely
addressed by a software update which we already have made available, as is
standard practice when problems with consumer software are identified," the
statement said.