funsec mailing list archives

Re: Internet.na.us intenet.me.iq internet.uk.eu

From: Dude VanWinkle <dudevanwinkle () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 15:28:08 -0700

On 12/6/05, Florian Weimer <fw () deneb enyo de> wrote:

I think the whole debate is quite pointless.  They aren't "passed
control", they already have control on their view of the Internet,
even if they cannot exercise control over ICANN.
I agree that was bad terminology, "'they' take control" is more
accurate. actually "force control on others when we allow them to take
it".

ICANN is not a service provider.  Packets are forwarded and content is
hosted by others.  If those guys don't like your packets or content,
you lose, no matter what ICANN says.
I am not concerned about my content being blocked (as I have little to
no content to be blocked), I am concerned about being blocked from
content and the general availability of information to people as a
whole.

ICANN is a service provider, they provide management of contracts for
com and net. I thought they provided IP to Name resolution, but I
guess I was wrong about that. Either way I feel I should state that I
am not worried about ICANN but worried about the net being politicised
through content filtering by major and minor nations. I guess I should
quit my whining (as this is inevitable) and start thinking of a way to
have encrypted tunnels into every ones internets after the fact ;-)

The current state of Internet censorship seems to be, roughly
speaking:

  * Countries like China filter content for poltical and economic
    reasons.  Bribe someone, and your competitor goes off the net --
    a very clean DoS attack.
Same thing here in the states. No one (to my knowledge) can stop a
DDoS attack without cutting off their regular customers or the service
initially provided that is being DDoS'ed

  * The U.S. censors the Internet in libraries and public schools,
    based on the "local community standards" doctrine.
Dont get me wrong; keeping porn from kids is OK by me, but that should
be a parents job to raise a kid correctly, not the local governments.

  * Some U.S. ISPs (well, at least one) configure null routes on
    routers in Germany to prevent most Germans from accessing certain
    web sites which might be illegal under German law (but without
    prior judicial review).
I see this happening worldwide if something is not done to prevent it
ot at least circumscribe it.

  * A lot of ISPs worldwide put packets into an inferior traffic class
    because they don't like the payload.
That would be very time consuming,  where did you get this information from?

Of course, what ISPs like and dislike depends heavily on the
regulation they are subject to.  This means that governments already
exercise a lot of control on the Internet as seen by their citizens.
The UN/ICANN/DoC triangle can't really change that.

You are looking for censorship at the wrong places.  Have you ever
wondered why you cannot use Paypal for online gambling?

Never gambled online, dont have a credit card OR a paypal account so I
haven't been exposed to this. I would tend to agree with DR Solly in
that is a business decision and not censorship. There is not much
useful information to be gleaned from giving away your money to
strangers aside from how _not_ to give away your money to strangers
;-) lol jk

I am more concerned with political censorship as the title suggests