funsec mailing list archives

Rita and panic political posting

From: "Rob, grandpa of Ryan, Trevor, Devon & Hannah" <rslade () sprint ca>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 19:02:17 -0800

Date sent:              Fri, 23 Sep 2005 02:45:14 +0200
From:                   Pierre Vandevenne <pierre () datarescue com>

While I don't necessarily disagree with you, isn't that list supposed
to be fun and related to IT security?

Well, that's the theory.  However, I haven't noticed an overabundance of funny
security stories, to date.  Most of what has gone on here has tended to be opinion,
of one type or another.

Which isn't necessarily a bad thing.  On any given list, most of what comes
through doesn't interest me, and I have a special key on my computer to deal with
that.  And lots of what comes through on funsec has been useful, one way or
another.

Posts about the price of
gasoline, Fat Aunt Eunice and her Hummer, etc will unavoidably lead to
heated political discussions which should, imho, be avoided here.

Maybe, but that's primarily a danger if we insist on "correcting" each other.  If we
can throw things out without too much concern, reply to what interests us, and
ignore the rest, I'd say that funsec will have more than fulfilled its recreational
purpose.

Maybe Gadi could create "globalpolsec" or something like that?

"Steamvent"?  "Safetyvalve"?

======================  (quote inserted randomly by Pegasus Mailer)
rslade () vcn bc ca      slade () victoria tc ca      rslade () sun soci niu edu
None are so fond of secrets as those who do not mean to keep
them.  Such persons covet secrets as spendthrifts do money, for
the purpose of circulation.                           - Caleb Colton
http://victoria.tc.ca/techrev    or    http://sun.soci.niu.edu/~rslade