Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Multiple remote vulnerabilities (RCE, bof) in Nuuo NVR and NETGEAR Surveillance

From: Pedro Ribeiro <pedrib () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2016 17:47:42 +0100

On 04/08/16 17:46, Pedro Ribeiro wrote:
tl;dr

Lots of RCE, hardcoded credentials, stack buffer overflow and
information disclosure in the Nuuo NVRmini and other network video
recorders of the same vendor.
These vulnerabilities also affect the NETGEAR Surveillance app (which
can be installed on the NETGEAR ReadyNAS).

See the full advisory including PoC and exploits below, or at my github
(https://raw.githubusercontent.com/pedrib/PoC/master/advisories/nuuo-nvr-vulns.txt).

Metasploit modules have been submitted for vulns #1, #2 and #3:
https://github.com/rapid7/metasploit-framework/pull/7180
https://github.com/rapid7/metasploit-framework/pull/7181
https://github.com/rapid7/metasploit-framework/pull/7182

Thanks to CERT/CC for helping me disclose this vulnerabilities - see
https://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/856152 for their advisory.

Regards,
Pedro

==============================

Fix:
NETGEAR and Nuuo did not respond to CERT/CC coordination efforts (see
Timeline below), so no fix is available.
Do not expose any of these devices to the Internet or any networks with
unstrusted hosts.

Timeline:
28.02.2016: Disclosure to CERT/CC.
27.04.2016: Requested status update from CERT - they did not receive any
response from vendors.
06.06.2016: Requested status update from CERT - still no response from
vendors.
            Contacted Nuuo and NETGEAR directly. NETGEAR responded with
their "Responsible Disclosure Guidelines", to which I did not agree and
requested them to contact CERT if they want to know the details about
the vulnerabilities found. No response from Nuuo.
13.06.2016: CERT sent an update saying that NETGEAR has received the
details of the vulnerabilities, and they are attempting to contact Nuuo
via alternative channels.
07.07.2016: CERT sent an update saying that they have not received any
follow up from both Nuuo and NETGEAR, and that they are getting ready
for disclosure.
17.07.2016: Sent an email to NETGEAR and Nuuo warning them that
disclosure is imminent if CERT doesn't receive a response or status
update. No response received.
01.08.2016: Sent an email to NETGEAR and Nuuo warning them that
disclosure is imminent if CERT doesn't receive a response or status
update. No response received.
04.08.2016: Coordinated disclosure with CERT.