Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Watch your Downloads: the risk of the "auto-download" feature on Microsoft Edge and Google Chrome

From: "Stefan Kanthak" <stefan.kanthak () nexgo de>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2015 13:36:26 +0200

"Haifei Li" <haifei-non-reply () outlook com> wrote:

This is a copied version of my blog post, original version
http://justhaifei1.blogspot.com/2015/10/watch-your-downloads-risk-of-auto.html.
Probably it's commonly known that when you try to download
something on your modern browser e.g. Google Chrome or
Microsoft Edge, the file will be downloaded automatically to
your local system with just a simple clicking - no need for
additional confirmations. With default settings, the file
will be downloaded to your "Downloads" folder
("C:\Users\<username>\Downloads").
Personally, I have worried about this feature quite some times,
now I finally got some time on highlighting this. (Please tell
me if there's someone already talked about this,

Of course somebody wrote and talked about this already:
<http://blog.acrossecurity.com/2012/02/downloads-folder-binary-planting.html>
<http://blog.acrossecurity.com/2012/04/adobe-reader-x-1012-msiexecexe-planting.html>
<http://blog.acrossecurity.com/2010/09/binary-planting-goes-exe.html>
<https://www.it.uu.se/edu/course/homepage/sakdat/ht05/assignments/pm/programme/DLL_Spoofing_in_Windows.pdf>
<https://cwe.mitre.org/data/definitions/426.html>
<https://cwe.mitre.org/data/definitions/427.html>

I quickly googled around and wasn't able to find an appropriate
one, I think it should be known by many ppl).

You can read a little bit more about this weakness and the resulting
vulnerabilities on <http://home.arcor.de/skanthak/sentinel.html>

stay tuned
Stefan

JFTR: <iframe src="url"> is HTML, not JavaScript.

      JavaScript is also not necessary to redirect to the download
      page of some morons who still expect their unsuspecting users
      to download and RUN an *.EXE to install their soft^Wcrapware:
      1. <META HTTP-Equiv="refresh" content="5; URL="..."> exists;
      2. Windows' native package format is *.MSI!