Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: TrueCrypt 7.1 repos on GitHub - forking starting point

From: Dave Howe <davehowe.pentesting () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2014 12:13:52 +0100

On 30/05/2014 21:00, Brandon Perry wrote:
Two issues with this:

1) TrueCrypt wasn't free as in freedom, it was free as in beer. These forks
break the license afaik.
Not seeing this to be honest. I have taken a look at the 3.0 licence
(applicable to 7.1a), and can't see any real reason to state that you
couldn't fork the project under a new name, but keeping the same code
base and licence.  Its possible I missed something though, which actual
term do you feel prevents forking?

2) Do you trust these users to understand the codebase thoroughly enough
and understand cryptography enough to not introduce stupid crypto bugs?
That is a huge caveat.
No. But if there is an independent auditor already being paid to audit
the code, and THAT project has plenty of funding left, it would seem a
worthwhile use of the money to audit any new changes as they are
committed, so that once we HAVE an audited codebase, it stays audited
despite being a moving target.