Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Legality of Open Source Tools

From: Toni Korpela <admin () xorfork com>
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2014 00:21:06 +0300

On 04/06/2014 11:54 AM, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
On Sun, Apr 6, 2014 at 4:24 AM, Henri Salo <henri () nerv fi> wrote:
Basic examples, which I have personally encountered:

1) Not allowed to port scan. Some ISPs are already monitoring and warning users
in case they do port scanning, but the reason for alerting might only be that
they monitor and try to get rid of malware in their networks.
2) Not allowed to list vulnerable systems. I can't for example list all
non-updated WordPress installations with their version numbers even this
information is available to anyone.
Item 2 is kind of interesting. Can you cite a reference?

I ask because the US's DMCA has provisions for Security Testing &
Evaluation and Reverse Engineering. So we are allowed to "test" the
system (some hand waiving), but its unclear [to me] what can be done
after the testing.

The ST&E exemption is in Section 1205 (i) SECURITY TESTING. The RE
exemption is in Section 1205 (f) REVERSE ENGINEERING.

Sorry to wander off-topic...

I did not mention this on my earlier post because it is offtopic,
but as you asked for reference here it is:

The Finnish Criminal Code sections 9 a and 9 b do contain
passwords, access codes or other corresponding information
which can be used to endanger or harm information and
communication systems.

http://www.finlex.fi/fi/laki/kaannokset/1889/en18890039.pdf

The sections are in the translated document on pages 143 and 144.

-Toni