Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: [Full-disclosure] Bank of the West security contact?

From: Jeffrey Walton <noloader () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2014 02:13:52 -0400

On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 4:42 PM, Eric Rand
<eric.rand () brownhatsecurity com> wrote:

BoA has no incentive to switch, as the customers have not demanded
more secure ATMs, and it's cheaper to have 'hacking insurance' to
cover any losses than it would be to replace all their ATMs.
Sad, but true. I doubt they have the hacking insurance, though.

There's a reason US banks suffer losses at a rate of 600x that of a
German bank. For the discussion, see Gutmann's Engineering Security,
page 542 (www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/book.pdf‎).

I'm amazed that the losses get passed onto shared holders, and then
executives give themselves a bonus for a job well done.

Jeff